December 17, 2009

my childhood

I have never done a blog before and so we will see how this goes. I guess it is a place to share thoughts and ideas, a place to vent, a place to let go and let God maybe...

I think I will start with my childhood. Growing up I didn't think anything was outta place. Didn't everyone have to move suddenly when their dad made people in the town mad? As us kids got older, I realized, most kids I met had lived in the same town or even lived in the same house all their lives! They hadn't been in 11(OK a little exaggerated) different schools by the time they graduated. By the time I was a senior in high school we had been to 7 different schools and moved back and forth from Washington state to California half a dozen times in,like 2 or 3 years. Then I was a little kid. Kindergarten to 3rd grade. There were times we weren't in school for long periods of time and my mom was really good about making us read and teaching us things, but she never really answered to a school district or any teachers. So as my baby twin brother and sister and I grew up we were aware things were not right. My dad was a full blown addict. It didn't matter what the substance was, he used it; alcohol, cocaine and etc. My mom tried her best to make the situation better like scrimping and budgeting. When your an addict you never keep a job for a while so my mom would get a job and my dad would quit his!

So again we would be scraping by. Some of my early memories are of us living in the desert in California in a vacation trailer and my mom and dad living in a shack my dad built because he was gonna build a house outta that shack and trailer (wow). There were framed in walls and a floor between the shack and trailer and one HUGE glass window. Us kids were playing in the desert and I remember hearing loud arguing and seeing a big canning pot go flying thru the window and shatter everywhere into the hot California sand. Soon after that my mom packed us up and we started the drive north to Washington. We drove and drove, for what seemed like forever, until we got to my grandma's house and it seemed we were in a normal envirnment. Until my dad would come and track us down. This happeded until I turned 15 or so. My mom would get tired of supporting everyone and putting up with his disfunctional lifestyle and decide it was easier to take care of us three kids and herself. So she would leave and us kids would be happy and free to play and be ourselves. Then HE would come around again, promising to be different and bringing gifts. And she would try again. And again things would go back to the same. The fighting and poverty and never knowing if we were gonna be OK finally got to her and she split for good. Thank the Lord!!! Well i think that's it for now.

No comments: